PDA

View Full Version : Nortlav the Scalekeeper

Beornegar
07-17-2003, 01:12 PM
Can anyone give me a breakdown of strategy on how to kill this guy? Is it true that he has VS style lifetap? Any tips would be appreciated.

Beo
57 Myrmidon

Casai
07-17-2003, 01:22 PM
he will own you unless you are using VS type of strategy, which means a lot of quick heals instead of CH line and runes! He has more hp then VS procs a bit less. Mob is still bad ass, dont underestimate him

Tugurok
07-17-2003, 04:47 PM
Runes help, I've heard spellshield can also (not totally sure why it should though), lots of fast heals on the tank, and absolutely aggro control. Can't have him tapping away on people who are not getting healed or who don't have runes. Tank should never get below 50% health if it can be helped. But he's an old world mob with pretty few hps and fairly low dps. We did him with 10-12 people the other day, average level of maybe 61, and it was fairly easy.

Beornegar
07-17-2003, 05:01 PM
Cool. We're going to try him next week, so I just wanted to know what to expect. Thanks guys.

Beo

Taminy
07-18-2003, 04:33 AM
Also as part of the VS strategy I would advise tanking him with evasive (not defensive). He needs to hit in order to proc. If you try to tank him without discipline, then have furious hotkeyed.

Also make a tank order of at least three people and make sure everyone knows it just in case things go bad.

The spikey damage can kill or nearly kill an underequipped/AAed warrior quite easily. Three procs in two rounds = 4500 + whatever melee damage.

Lastly, make sure every melee (especially pets) is attacking from behind or the side. If they attack from the front = more ripostes = more attacks = more lifetap procs.

The rest of what is important has already been said (unless I'm missing something). Aggro control, fast heals, and runes.

Futumsh
07-18-2003, 09:34 AM
He's also slowable, which helps a ton. If you want to be careful, have someone build some agro and kite him around until slow lands, then pop ae taunt to take over and kill him. Rune will prevent lifetaps while it's up, and spellshield will partially block them.

Crayno
07-21-2003, 04:29 AM
Your chanter will be dead after the first rune he casts in the fight.

Trondir
07-21-2003, 05:40 AM
Originally posted by Tugurok
Runes help, I've heard spellshield can also (not totally sure why it should though), lots of fast heals on the tank, and absolutely aggro control. Can't have him tapping away on people who are not getting healed or who don't have runes. Tank should never get below 50% health if it can be helped. But he's an old world mob with pretty few hps and fairly low dps. We did him with 10-12 people the other day, average level of maybe 61, and it was fairly easy.

spellshield is better as it doesnt wear off on melee hits
however, you want your wizards to nuke in fights like that, not get unnecessary agro from spellshielding

Tugurok
07-21-2003, 09:10 AM
It's true -- Nortlav goes crazy on rune casters. Rune up before the fight, but if the chanter runes *during* the fight he will certainly get aggro. Same with spellshielding -- I'd just buff with it before, then unload the nukes during the fight, as Trondir suggests.

Jakle Attakle
07-21-2003, 01:25 PM
Use Rune III and he won't even notice. You people. sheesh, didn't yah ever learn the L33t kunaruk strats? :) :)

< - - kidding, just kidding :p

Yroc Morf
07-22-2003, 08:35 AM
http://pub99.ezboard.com/fwave99244frm8.showMessage?topicID=5.topic

Beornegar
07-30-2003, 11:06 AM
I posted Yroc's link on my guilds message board, with luck some of them will have a chance to read it before the raid. Thanks for all the advice guys. Hopefully we'll be going after him tonight. Wish me luck. :)

Jakle Attakle
07-30-2003, 03:32 PM
sounds great, except nortlav is about 1,000 miles away from the spot they said to pull him from LOL!

Throw out the entire section called "staging"

Half pipe? huh?

Beornegar
07-31-2003, 04:04 PM
Typical. Last week we went in for High Scale Kirn, and didnt have enough people to kill Nortlav. Nortlav was up and we had to pass him by. This week, we had a horde of people show up to help me out with him, and he wasn't up. This brings me to my next question: Anyone know his spawn time? If we'd had a reasonable expectation that he might pop soon we might have managed to get everyone to hang around and wait for him.

Jakle Attakle
07-31-2003, 05:44 PM
90% sure it is 7 days unfortunately.

Dobbo Baggins
08-01-2003, 01:58 AM
he's ALWAYS up on TM. key is chain runeing but you better have like a uber war aggro tank or a pal cause if not bye bye ench.

Brodda Thep
08-01-2003, 01:25 PM
All you need to do is reach 500 mr and he becomes trivial.

And to do that you need the best bard you can get with group resist song and a high level enchanter buff. ALso there is a shaman potion you can use to get higher.

ANYTHING at all to get to 500 mr. Replace ANY amount of hp items for MR items to reach that 500 MR and you will win with ease.

Casai
08-01-2003, 01:42 PM
if tank is below 60 mr wont do much.

Yroc Morf
08-11-2003, 09:25 AM
Throw out the entire section called "staging"

Half pipe? huh?

Jakle, you CAN fight the scalekeeper anywhere you want in the zone. The scalekeeper does not return to spawn after he is pulled so its quite easy to bring him to the raid instead of the raid to him.

This is covered in the "notes" at the very bottom of my strat link.

Jakle Attakle
08-11-2003, 11:44 AM
LOL , not bagging on you bud,

but if you truly believe that giving people the advice of fighting through the city,

down past Jaeil,

through the three golem pop on the left,

5 minutes of straight running to the bottom clearing the tunnels to Yael room,

tagging Nortlav,

Running him back through an entire pop from Jaeil through the whole city,

with at least 40 something mobs on you, with a minimum of 10 golems at this point,

and then dying or FD'ing at the castle while everyone preps up for Nortlav,

(assuming you dont pre-aggro him by him assisting the mobs while you are clearing the 4 mobs in the first room of the castle or the 6 wanderers around the Half-pipe area)

and then killing him at the half-pipe...

(which you cant use to run the melee out of zone unless you grav flux them anyway...

[not sure what the allure of the halfpipe staging area was in the first place /boggle], because...

Not to mention that a group of people that can't fight their way down to Nortlav probably shouldn't be attempting him in the first place...

then I guess more power to you.

Sorry man, I am not an overly critical person in general, but that section of your guide is flat out, 100% bad advice.

Yes, Nortlav does in fact corpse camp you until he is killed or re-popped with the zone. Using this fact as a defense for the idea that you shoud pull him to the Half-Pipe is asinine.

Jakle

*Edit - Forgot one thing. If you pull Nortlav to the Courtyard and Fail on him and leave him there, he will wipe out every single group that has hopes of exping there if they are not familiar with his assisting on mobs. (DIE DIE if you do this to poor little exp'rs)

**Second Edit - If you were to Divine Aura jump Brell cleric with sow into the pit, have them tag Nortlav, run him all the way up (stopping to make sure he is following and doesnt warp to you :), then get COH'd out or gate at the top of the CY and leave Nortlav there, then yes, you could in fact pull Nortlav to the top without 50 million adds and your strat might work somewhat reliably. The wandering Revenants will still agro at the base of the valley before undead tower as well as the wanderer between the city that comes as high up as the first room after the initial pool area post-courtyard....

< - - - spent 2 lifetimes in the Hole

Yroc Morf
08-11-2003, 02:27 PM
I think your dismissing this strat without thinking of how beneficial it really is. You comment saying this is bad advice is narrow minded.

Having said that, many of your points are valid, but ...

You can SoW and HP buff a lvl one brell rogue... drop him into the hole the safe way (DA is not the only way to get into the hole safe) .... hit Nort with a range weapon.... run your ass off and bring him right up to the top... With a bit of practice you can do this run in three stages ever time (about 15 min). The first time will always pull him up into the city and most often to the rat gaurd that is positioned just before the city (on that ramp).

Now if you have a monk and you use CoH in combo.... moving Nort to the top is a 5 min deal... and it never fails (one shot deal).

With regard to your edit ...... If you cannot kill Nort you can move him back down the same way.... (I have never had to do this).

The biggest advantage to using this strat is that figthing him near the zone line makes multiple attempts very feasible (CR takes 10-20 min and you just try again... It's a great encounter for guilds to practice for VS without competition).

For the record, I always moved him up to the CY before the raid even got there..... so it was one person's time being used .. instead of what used to be (before this guy become trivial) 30 peoples time.

To each his own .... but I ....like you..... spent a ton of time in the hole... I would no so easily dismiss this .. I certainly would not calll it 100% bad advice.

Jakle Attakle
08-11-2003, 04:28 PM
Okies, I respect your hole knowledge, your kung fu is strong...

But most peoples only learn that strat well enough to execute it by living the virtue of having level one brell rogues for CRs and knowing the lay out of the hole fairly intimately.

It may not be bad advice, but I would only believe the strat would only work if a guild is bringing someone who has very intimate knowledge of the place already...Ergo, someone who doesnt need the strat :)

There is one rat that will snack you in between yael and the turn off from Undead Tower. My biggest concern with why not to use a Brell rogue is that no sneak = dead on rats and ghosties. Well, Ghosties anyway heh.

But with Sneak = Nortlav catches you?

But okay, you are right, if you are bringing a hole expert with yas, you could definitely get Nortlav to the CY in the time it takes most hosers to learn to get through the rock unshrunk (never understood why it was so hard to get people set up in the Hole)

I just would never truncate a Hole raid as a matter of principle :) I would bring mega mega heavy Melee groups and one healer in each and pull 5-10 mobs every time. We would never AFK till the lake so we could get two pops of mimics for the SK's.

If we only stopped for one mimic pop, I could do Ratman Guard, Mimics, Jaeil (2 or 3 times), Keeper of the Tombs, that SK mummy thingy (grr how could I forget his name) and Kindle and Kirn in 45 minutes from top to bottom. I could do all that and Nortlav or Yael in an hour and 30 :) There was never more bang for the buck or the ability to help more people than the Hole. You could do three SK pieces, Two Enchanter pieces (one of them every 22 mins) one Ranger piece (unlimited times), one Paladin Piece, and one Shaman epic piece in an hour and a half. I love that zone.

It was just 100% plain worth it to fight all the way down. Tank Mez > all....

Jak

Yroc Morf
08-11-2003, 04:37 PM
I could not agree more with you Daniel-son.

I guess my guide does not include info on how to pull him up (cause I always did that part)..... and I did in fact write this thing up as a "how to kill Nort" ... and not a "how to raid the hole".

My old guild was doing just Nort for CH rotation practice and for VS practice way back when because the ubers were takin VS out before we could blink and we needed to learn. The keeper is almost always up.

People that read this should know...... It's much more fun to move down to him (unless you have done it 50 times before and you just want to kill the ugly Erudite warrior wannabe)